Skip navigation

Monthly Archives: December 2007

Mama mia! Labs just put up the latest on the next version of Adobe Connect code named: Brio. (The Webex killer) You can have a free account for up to 3 users for an unlimited connection time. I played around it with my friend, and it’s very cool. I hope there’s an API for creating your own pods for it.


Swift 3D v. 5

Swift 3D v. 5

There’s a lot of buzz going on with Papervision 3D by John Grden’s team. John’s been travelling alot through LA, Toronto, London and in Amsterdam in giving workshops on how to use Papervision 3D with Flex and Flash CS3.

Interestingly, I browsed through fullasagoog and discovered that Erain has a papervision 3D export feature. I don’t know whether it is version 1.5 or 2. But it is really cool. Just click on the link below and click on “Now Playing: Papervision 3D our approach” which pops up a video on how it’s done.

My friend Lucas came back from Flash in the Can in April and came back with a discount card. Use “SHOWDISCOUNT” to get a 15% discount on Swift3d v5. I hope it’s still good.

Can’t wait to get my paws on it sometime soon.


I haven’t posted in a while because I am full time in development of localized Flash applications in 11 languages with Flash 8 / AS2. The objective was that I include embedded fonts with externalized xml and css content. (Embedded fonts are required since I cannot modify properties with device fonts such as rotation and scaling.) Then I created tags in my xml file to correspond to labels in my animations. This was a tricky job, but I got it worked out.

The hardest aspect of localization development was to embed fonts into flash. There are many sites that addresses localization in flash development. (I realized that such development is getting to be an art form.) The Adobe site unfortunately doesn’t really help that much in this respect.

The free Fontastic engine at is a good site. He also gives a quick overview of the intricacies of localization with Flash since Flash Player 7. There are video tutorials, but it has been very difficult to get in touch with the web administrator. I even tried to use three different emails to renew my video subscription but to no avail. Anyways, I had to move on and continue development.

Fontastic inspired me to use font symbols in external libraries. Later, I found that in my development that I was restricted to use only 255 characters. This is great for latin based characters (e.g. English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese…) Maybe with exception to French. I needed to include the “oe” character, by creating a new font. (I use fontCreator by High Logic. )

Since I had to develop for Japanese, Chinese, and Greek, I was forced to include Unicode. So I thought about scouring the web one last time. But lo and behold, there was the What the Zend framework is for PHP, the Casa framework is for Flash AS2. (An AS3 is in the works as we speak.) I began using the FontManager class and removed all references to my font library symbols. I had successfully ported over to Japanese and am working on Greek and Chinese.

Notable Links:

Flash and CSS:

Flash Shared Font Libraries:
Flash and Unicode:

Flash and Device Fonts: (A hack)

Dynamic Fonts with Flash:

I hope to meet a lot of people. I’m scheduled to give a presentation. I hope to whip up something fast along the lines of AIR. Maybe something with Dreamweaver CS3.

Info here.


San Francisco

Haven’t posted for so long. Because of getting the blog itch, I had to…

Adobe just posted an update to its flash player. I believe this is the same update that has been available since it was posted on Labs.

Updates include:

  • H.264 and high-efficiency AAC support (In short: it plays .mp4 files)
  • Graphical rendering enhancements
  • Flash Player cache
  • Cross-platform parity

Info from Justin Everett-Church’s article: here.