I happen to attend the free session at the Ottawa Mobile Development day. Got to thank Zee Yang who set this up. The Adobe offices in Ottawa were pretty cool. Here is a brief summary of what I learned:
- Mobile Projects by Paulo Fierro (Jade Hopper) – Interesting overview of the mobile market.
- Mobile AIR Development by Julian Dolce (QNX/RIM) – Gave an overview of the AIR for Android API
- Mobile HTML5 by Mohammad Jangda (Vortex Mobile) – Quick introduction of HTML 5.
- iPhone Development by Tariq Zaid (SelectStart Studios) – Overview of IOS development (Answered my question on distribution. Turns out that we do not need to put all of our apps on the Apple iTunes store. We can also have network distribution targeted for the vertical market.)
- Windows Phone 7 by Colin Melia (DreamDigital) – What’s coming up on Windows 7 Phone OS (Ideal for Requires Silverlight / .Net / C# dev developers. As coming from a Flash/Actionscript background, I found it very hard to be convinced to develop for this platform.)
Next conferences on my schedule:
Flex 360 in Washington DC Sept 18-22nd. (Thanks to InsideRIA and Flex360 for the free ticket). This will be my first attendance at this kind of conference. I have been leaning towards Flash Builder lately. All my training in Papervision, and Away3D has been through Flash Builder. It would be the ideal conference to learn about best practices and workflows. Looking forward to it.
RIAUnleashed (Boston, MA) Nov. 11-12. This is a two day conference held at Bentley College. The hands-on sessions look pretty sweet.
Actually, for those who would like to attend both conferences, there is a discount available.